Peas Soup Ingredients:
- 1 Lb. Pork Ribs, chopped
- 1 Cup Smoked Ham, diced into medium cubes
- 2-16 oz Can Pigeon Peas (red kidney beans can be substituted if pigeon peas are unavailable)
- 12 Cups Water
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Onions, diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- ½ Cup Tomato Paste
- 2 Potatoes, diced large cubes
- 2 Tbsp Dried Thyme
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 Cup White Flour
1 tsp Salt
½ tsp Black Pepper
½ Cup Milk
In a large pot, place the pork ribs and cured ham along with the pigeon peas in water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and cover partially to cook for 2 hours. Once the meat has cooked, strain the broth and set aside. Return the meat and pigeon peas to the pot with vegetable oil and fry until slightly browned. Then add the onions, green bell peppers, tomatoes, tomato paste, thyme, and salt and pepper to the pot and simmer for 10 minutes. Return the strained broth to the pot and allow soup to simmer while you prepare the dumplings. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt and pepper, and milk and stir until well-combined and a dough begins to form. Using a tablespoon, drop rounded spoonfuls of dough into the simmering soup. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes, then cover, reduce heat and simmer an additional 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest for 15 minutes, then serve in bowls with local hot pepper tonics, adding as much pepper as you like!
- For a sweeter dish, replace the strained broth with 1-13.5 oz can of coconut milk. You can also replace the potatoes with sweet potatoes to compliment the coconut milk.
- For a vegetarian version, replace the meat products with cabbage, corn, plantain, and/or sweet potatoes!
- For a gluten-free version, eliminate the flour dumplings.